Position: Communications & Public Relations Manager
Classification: FTE, Exempt
Reports to: Director of Communications
The Communications & Public Relations Manager is responsible for all aspect of media relations, event planning, and managing, editing and writing for Chamber communications channels. This includes an enterprise Intranet, e-newsletter Inside Business; and internal news channel, FGCC News.
- Develop PR campaigns, and initiatives to promote Chamber programs and services
- Develop PR campaigns and initiatives to improve public perception of Flint and Genesee County
- Manage all aspects of media relations
- Pitch stories to the media
- Write press releases, media advisories, fact sheets and other press materials
- Integrate social media strategies into PR campaigns
- Manage, edit and write newsletters and other company materials
- Develop key messages and talking points
- Prep organization spokespeople
- Respond to information inquiries from the media and the general public
- Serve on the Public Policy staff committee and manage related communications
- Build/maintain working relationships with local and municipal officials.
- Coordinate and promote the Chamber’s Speakers Bureau
- Participate in the planning and execution of the enterprise Intranet
- Contribute to internal communications planning and delivery
- Participate in department budget planning.
- Assist other department staff with the creation and execution of the FGCC events
- Assist with photography and videography needs for FGCC projects and events
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Communications and the COO.
MINIMUM REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, or related field and/or three to five years of direct experience.
- Strong writing skills with experience in journalistic style, speech writing.
- Strong interpersonal communication and relationship-building skills, good business acumen; strong organizational and project management skills; sound judgment, initiative, flexibility, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work well with diverse groups at all levels.
- Intermediate knowledge and skill with technology, including but not limited to personal computers, desktop or electronic publishing systems, scanners, and other electronic communication equipment
- Intermediate knowledge and skill with graphic design, page layout, and multimedia software
- Intermediate knowledge and skill with interactive technologies of the Web
- Intermediate skill with Microsoft Office and other related applications.
- Ability to adhere to priorities, meet multiple deadlines and effectively present and explain complex information.
Salary: Commensurate with applicant’s experience
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and three references to Wanda Twitty, Director of Human Resources for the Chamber, at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (810) 600-4062 by 5 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 3.
Date: Revised: Nov. 17, 2014