Those looking to celebrate Michigan’s Craft Beer Month in July won’t have to travel far: The brew is bubbling all over Flint & Genesee.
Michigan is home to more than 150 breweries, according to the Michigan Brewers Guild, and is ranked fifth in the United States for its number of breweries.
Genesee County is in on the trend.
“Pure Michigan’s website section featuring ‘Wine, Beer & Spirit Trails’ now links to the Flint & Genesee CVB website because we have a growing number of locations here,” said Cheryl DeFrain, Director of the Flint & Genesee Convention & Visitors Bureau. “Whether it’s craft beer or wine, or even hard cider, we have it all. And many of our restaurants, breweries and tap rooms also have ample space for meetings or banquets, so the possibilities are endless – all right here in our own backyard.”
Genesee County breweries and wineries include:
- Almar Orchards in Flushing: With more than 30 varieties of apples, Almar produces one of the best tasting apple ciders, J.K.’s Scrumpy Farmhouse Organic.
- Fenton Winery & Brewery: Founded in 2007, Fenton Winery & Brewery began as a typical winery featuring 15 wines and a tasting bar. It now offers a variety of beers on tap and over 20 wine choices (three on tap) with a steady rotation of seasonal wines and specialties.
- The Laundry in Fenton: Not only does The Laundry feature 100 classic and house cocktails at their full bar, Lynchpin Beer Company brews right onsite, specializing in Lynchpin taps, seasonal brews and growlers.
- The Red Baron Brew Pub & Tap Room in Burton: The Red Baron offers 56 beers on tap that are meticulously maintained for all to enjoy featuring a small selection brewed by Red Baron, itself, such as a Chocolate Vanilla Crème Stout and a Naughty Eskimo IPA.
- Redwood Brewing Company – Redwood Steakhouse Brewery & Grill in Flint: Part of Flint’s Redwood Steakhouse, Redwood Brewing Co. has been brewing award-winning beer since 1996.
- Spicer Orchards & Carriage House Cellars Winery and Tasting Room in Fenton: Taste a selection of wine and/or hard cider by the glass while enjoying lunch, or a romantic setting, on the patio overlooking the beauty of the apple orchard.
- Tenacity Brewing in Flint: Located in one of Flint’s downtown old fire stations. Come taste some extraordinary and creative beer brewed with pride in Flint.
Genesee County also is home to at least one hops farm – an ingredient vital to crafting beer. The 55-acre Top Hops Farm in Atlas Township yielded 6,300 pounds of hops in 2014. Hops from the farm have been used in brews at several Michigan restaurants and breweries, including Redwood Brewing in Flint and Fenton Winery & Brewery.
Michigan’s thriving brewing industry contributes more than $144 million in wages with a total economic contribution of more than $277 million, according to the Michigan Brewers Guild.
For more information about Genesee County’s breweries and wineries, visit flintandgenesee.org/visit/breweries-wineries/. For tourism information, contact the Flint & Genesee CVB at (810) 600-1404 or firstname.lastname@example.org.