(FLINT, Mich. – Dec. 15, 2016) Sixty days after announcing the launch of the Flint Sprint initiative, 22 Flint community organizations and sponsor organizations have completed impactful projects aimed at improving residents’ quality of life.
The initiative – introduced by the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce in collaboration with Flint Mayor Karen Weaver, with pro-bono support from Deloitte – mobilized Michigan businesses to provide ‘on-the-ground,’ pro-bono support to Flint community organizations.
Flint Sprint accomplishments include increased safety measures for residents, health education, LED lighting conversion and the development of childhood literacy programs.
Additional project outcomes:
- Downtown Detroit Partnership/City of Flint – High-Definition Cameras Established a real-time, crime-fighting and community policing program to provide safer environments for residents in high-crime neighborhoods and improve police response times.
- Rock Ventures/Communities First, Inc. – Community Connections Developed an online platform for Flint residents to access important up-to-date information about services and created resource guides for residents battling homelessness. Also created a video to share the impact of the organization's important work in the community.
- Deloitte/City of Flint – Communications Created a platform that allows the city to communicate events and information to Flint citizens and help keep residents informed on critical information.
- Rush Trucking/Hamilton Health Clinic – Hispanic Community Outreach and Marketing Developed outreach materials and a marketing plan to engage the Spanish-speaking community seeking services.
- Consumers Energy/City of Flint – Public Lighting Initiated the city’s LED lighting conversation process and completed early implementation on installments.
- Sheppard Consulting & UM Flint/ Flint Community Schools – Reading Volunteer Program Developed a scalable reading-volunteer program to enhance students’ literacy, including: writing, listening, and presenting newly acquired knowledge.
- Epic.org/Mass Transportation Authority (MTA) – Rides to Wellness – IT Coordination Positioned the MTA to implement significant infrastructure improvements to provide more timely transportation services to residents and developed an RFP for purchasing software/hardware solutions for Rides to Wellness.
“Accomplishing a project of this magnitude, in such an aggressive window of time, required a great deal of dedication from our business and community organizations,” said Chamber CEO Tim Herman. “The success of these projects shines a light on the immense possibilities when you get the right minds together working toward a common goal.”
Following the Flint & Genesee Chamber’s Leadership Summit last summer, organizers recognized an opportunity to act to help the community recover from the Flint water emergency. Understanding the impact the program could have on residents, Deloitte provided assistance with program management.
For Mark Davidoff, Michigan Managing Partner of Deloitte LLP, playing a fundamental role in the program is one way in which Deloitte delivers on its corporate citizenship promise.
“Deloitte is committed to supporting initiatives that have the power to help make a meaningful impact,” said Davidoff. “Using our collective resources and calling on various community relationships, we were able to provide support to help aid the Flint community and its residents. Deloitte is proud to have supported Flint’s community organizations and Michigan’s business community to see the program through to completion.”
Media contacts: Elaine Redd Flint & Genesee Chamber firstname.lastname@example.org (810) 600-1418
Jane Broski Deloitte email@example.com (312) 486-2973
About the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce
Serving the community for over 100 years, the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce is a premier business membership organization unlike most chambers of commerce. In addition to traditional member services, our responsibility includes serving as the lead economic development agency for Flint & Genesee, marketing tourism, youth and business training, and a Shared Services Center. For more information, visit www.flintandgenesee.org. Check us out on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
About Deloitte Deloitte provides industry-leading audit, consulting, tax and advisory services to many of the world’s most admired brands, including 80 percent of the Fortune 500. Our people work across more than 20 industry sectors to deliver measurable and lasting results that help reinforce public trust in our capital markets, inspire clients to make their most challenging business decisions with confidence, and help lead the way toward a stronger economy and a healthy society.
As used in this document, “Deloitte” means Deloitte Consulting LLP, Deloitte & Touche LLP, and their subsidiaries. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte Consulting LLP, Deloitte & Touche LLP, and their subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.