YouthQuest students will be explorers, scientists and designers as this month’s activities relate to different aspects of Earth and the solar system.
“Through a variety of hands-on activities, students will learn about the interconnections between planet Earth and outer space,” says Cheryl Adkins, program director of YouthQuest.
Lessons this month include:
- Exploring the solar system and learning how Earth fits within it
- Learning about the responsibilities of an astronaut
- Virtually touring and designing eco-friendly homes. Students will also discuss differences between eco-friendly and traditional homes.
To extend learning at home, parents can:
- Visit Longway Planetarium to help students explore the solar system. As of August 2018, Genesee County residents receive 50 percent off admission to shows.
- Explore the local ecosystem at For-Mar Nature Preserve and Arboretum. The park hosts many events that help students learn about animals, insects and plants.
- Ask students about the ecological connection between different animals, insects and plants. For example, if they see a bird and a spider, students can connect that both birds and spiders eat various insects.
YouthQuest is made possible through the generous support of the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation and 21st Century Community Learning Centers.