Free, Pre-Employment Program Now Accepting Registration for January Sessions
(FLINT, Mich., Dec. 16, 2015) – If you’re aiming to get a job or transition into a new career in 2016, starting with a solid foundation is essential to keeping your New Year’s resolution. This is why the first workshop of the Career Edge series – which is now accepting registration for its January sessions – focuses on the basics.
“For someone who has never been employed or hasn’t interviewed in quite some time, the job search process can be an intimidating experience,” said Rhetta Hunyady, Vice President of Education and Training at the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce, which administers Career Edge. “The key is to take it one step at a time.”
According to Hunyady, there are five things job seekers can do to prepare themselves before starting their job search.
- Assess your skills. It’s important to know what you have to offer in the form of hard and soft skills. This will lay the foundation for your job search, resumes, cover letters and interviews.
- Understand the power of attitude. If you lack a positive outlook, reprogram your mindset with daily affirmations and positive internal dialogue.
- Learn proper business etiquette. Prepare yourself to make a positive first impression by practicing a firm handshake and maintaining eye contact about 60 percent of the time.
- Practice effective communication. Before you begin making phone calls or interviewing, you should be able to convey your message without rambling or speaking too quickly.
- Set SMART goals, which are Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely. This will help provide direction and motivation during your job search.
Each of the aforementioned tips are covered in the first of the four-part Career Edge series, which also focuses on job search and interview preparation as well as what it takes to keep a job.
The free series – designed to help unemployed and underemployed adults prepare for the job market – is offering two sessions in January. One will be held at My Brother’s Keeper, 101 N. Grand Traverse St., Flint. The other will take place at Christ Enrichment Center, at 322 E. Hamilton Ave., Flint.
Each workshop will run from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dates and locations are as follows:
- Laying the Foundation: Focuses on attitude, business etiquette and communication.
- Jan. 11 at My Brother’s Keeper
- Jan. 25 at Christ Enrichment Center
- Job Search Preparation: Includes resume development and job application completion.
- Jan. 12 at My Brother’s Keeper
- Jan. 26 at Christ Enrichment Center
- Interview Preparation: Highlights types of interviews, skills assessment and role-playing.
- Jan. 13 at My Brother’s Keeper
- Jan. 27 at Christ Enrichment Center
- Keeping a Job: Focuses on dependability, ethics, teamwork and sphere of influence.
- Jan. 14 at My Brother’s Keeper
- Jan. 28 at Christ Enrichment Center
Participants who attend all four workshops will be invited to the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce Job Fair in April 2016.
To register for the upcoming Career Edge series, click here or call 810-600-1413.