February 24, 2016
Entrepreneurs and small business owners can gain the knowledge and resources needed to start a business during the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce eTEAM’s ninth annual Jumpstart Conference. This year’s conference will feature three new breakout sessions for prospective and fledgling business owners along with the annual awards luncheon to celebrate recent success stories.
Chemical Bank is the corporate sponsor of Jumpstart, which takes place MARCH 4, from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Holiday Inn Gateway Centre, 5353 Gateway Centre in Flint. Jumpstart was rescheduled because of a winter storm that is projected to hit Flint and Genesee County on Feb. 25, the date for which the conference was originally set.
Dan Crannie, Owner of Signs by Crannie, a full-service commercial sign company with plants in Michigan and Florida, will be the keynote speaker. The company employs 46 people who design, construct, install and service commercial signs throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Jumpstart attendees will have the opportunity to participate in following breakout sessions:
- Branding for Beginners: 5 Essential Tips to Create and Spread Your Brand. Designed to share ideas about creating a brand identity for your business. .
- Technology Essentials for the 21st Century Business. An overview of the critical technology tools and equipment any business needs for success in the 21st century.
- Starting a food-oriented small business. This workshop will provide an array of information from labeling and licensing, to where products can be sold and much more.
- Finding and Keeping Talent. An overview of cover common mistakes new business entrepreneurs should avoid when acquiring talent, and recommendations for finding and keeping the best employees.
- What Does It Take to Get from Product Idea to Market? Insights on product development, prototyping, tools and resources available to take your idea from concept to creation.
- Meet the Lender: What to Expect. Learn what to expect and what’s involved in applying for a commercial bank loan, including SBA programs.
In addition, the Spark Awards and the Rising Star Awards honor up-and-coming business owners on the basis of their growth trajectory and entrepreneurial success. Spark Awards are presented to new businesses and the Rising Star recognizes early stage businesses that have exhibited growth.
The cost to participate in Jumpstart is $20 per person, which includes continental breakfast and lunch. Special student pricing is $5 for those who pre-register and $10 at the door (both require a valid students ID at check-in).