Home Health Care Expert Mark Rice Keynotes; Small Business Awards Presentation
(FLINT, MICH. – February 26, 2015) More than 100 aspiring entrepreneurs and business owners today participated in the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce eTEAM’s eighth annual Jumpstart Entrepreneur Conference to learn ways to start and grow a business. Held from 8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Holiday Inn Gateway Centre, the conference featured workshops, a panel discussion and a luncheon for the Rising Star and Spark awards. Chemical Bank was the event’s corporate sponsor.
Mark Rice II, President of Loving Hands Adult and Senior Care Services, was the keynote speaker and drew on his 20-plus years of experience in sales, management and guerilla marketing to grow his business into a multi-million dollar corporation. Loving Hands is a rapidly growing company that provides Home Health Care, Private Duty Home Care and Adult Day Care services throughout Michigan. It ranks within the top 1 percent among all national home health care agencies.
According to Tim Herman, CEO of the Chamber, Jumpstart provides all the resources needed to grow or start a business in Flint and Genesee County.
“Small business owners are making a significant contribution to the reinvention of our region and providing a great energetic spirit,” said Herman. “This is so important to our economic well-being and our future.
“For those who want to start a business, the Jumpstart conference presents a great opportunity that will take you down the entrepreneurial path.”
Jumpstart attendees participated in breakout sessions on a variety of topics, including:
- Inventors: Idea to FabLab to Market – Featuring insights on prototyping, product development, and other tools available to take your idea from concept to creation.
- Lending: What to Expect – Learn what it takes to obtain a commercial loan from the bank, including SBA loan support programs.
- Business Plan Basics – It isn’t just a requirement for getting a loan. Find out how it helps you figure out and virtually test your business concept.
- Marketing: Old, new, tried, true – Get insights on what to do, why to do it and how to create a larger “foot-print” on the web.
- Business Symposium – Exclusively for businesses with at least three years of history that are ready to build on what they have already achieved, with experts in finance, talent, and strategic planning.
This is the eighth year that the eTEAM has sponsored Jumpstart, along with the Spark Awards and the Rising Star Awards. Honorees are selected based on their growth trajectory and entrepreneurial success. Spark Awards are presented to new businesses and the Rising Star recognizes early stage businesses that have exhibited growth.
Janice Karcher, Vice President of Economic Development for the Chamber says Jumpstart was created to provide a one-stop shop for entrepreneurs and small business owners to gain valuable information.
“Entrepreneurs and small business owners help our region grow,” said Karcher. “The great thing about Jumpstart is that you can spend the morning learning, connecting and preparing for success. It truly provides a cost-effective way to get your business moving in the right direction.”
The Chamber’s eTEAM is a regional collaboration of entrepreneurial service providers working to connect local entrepreneurs and small businesses with resources to promote growth and success. eTEAM member organizations, include: MI-Small Business Development Center (MI_SBDC), City of Flint and The Career Alliance – Michigan Works! and Metro Community Development in addition to many other service providers.