September 23, 2015
Today, five businesses were honored for their business results in exporting from the I-69 Thumb Region, which includes Genesee, Lapeer, Huron, Sanilac, St. Clair, Shiawassee and Tuscola counties. More than 130 business, civic and education leaders were on hand as Exporter of the Year awards were presented during the I-69 Thumb Annual Regional Summit in Flint.
Awards were presented by Monique Holliday-Bettie, Economic Development Manager for DTE Energy, and Jeffrey Mayes, Manager of Economic Development Strategy for Consumers Energy, along with economic development partners from each of the seven counties. The award is also supported by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce International Trade Administration, Michigan Economic Development Corporation and The University of Michigan-Flint. Candidates were judged by UM-Flint faculty.
According to Janice Karcher, Vice President for Economic Development for the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce exporting is a significant component of economic success.
“Businesses can diversify and grow by exporting and expanding their sales to new customers and geographies,” said Karcher. “The businesses honored here today have tapped those markets successfully and, in doing so, contribute significantly to the region’s growing prosperity. The I-69 Thumb Region partners are working to connect more businesses in the region to export markets and opportunities.”
The following businesses received 2015 Exporter of the Year honors:
- Genesee County – Coffee Beanery
- Coffee Beanery has more than 100 locations throughout the U.S., 20 locations internationally and is recognized as an industry leader for its unique family business approach, corporate culture and commitment to quality.
- Thumb Region (Huron, Sanilac & Tuscola Counties) – Stemco Kaiser, Inc.
- STEMCO Kaiser, Inc. tests and manufactures pins and bushings for kingpin, suspension kit and no-ream repair kit applications.
- Lapeer County – Lapeer Plating & Plastics, Inc.
- Lapeer Plating & Plastics, Inc. specialize in injection molding, ornamentation, decorative trim, handles and emblems.
- Shiawassee County – Tri-Mer Corporation
- Tri-Mer Corporation develops and manufactures air pollution control systems and other related equipment.
- St. Clair County – Alliance Broach & Tool
- Alliance Broach & Tool is highly specialized with engineering, manufacturing and reconditioning of broaches in a variety of shapes and sizes along with production machining services.
The I-69 Thumb Region is a partnership of the Flint & Genesee Chamber, Shiawassee Economic Development Partnership, Lapeer Development Corporation, Economic Development Alliance of St. Clair County, Sanilac & Huron County Economic Development Corporation and Tuscola County Economic Development Corporation.