(FLINT, MICH. – September 23, 2015) Today, five businesses were honored for their business results in exporting from the I-69 Thumb Region, which includes Genesee, Lapeer, Huron, Sanilac, St. Clair, Shiawassee and Tuscola counties. More than 130 business, civic and education leaders were on hand as Exporter of the Year awards were presented during the 2015 I-69 Thumb Regional Summit in Flint.
Awards were presented by Monique Holliday-Bettie, Economic Development Manager for DTE Energy, and Jeffrey Mayes, Manager of Economic Development Strategy for Consumers Energy, along with economic development partners from each of the seven counties. The award is also supported by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce International Trade Administration, Michigan Economic Development Corporation and The University of Michigan-Flint. Candidates were judged by UM-Flint faculty.
According to Janice Karcher, Vice President for Economic Development for the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce exporting is a significant component of economic success.
“Businesses can diversify and grow by exporting and expanding their sales to new customers and geographies,” said Karcher. “The businesses honored here today have tapped those markets successfully and, in doing so, contribute significantly to the region’s growing prosperity. The I-69 Thumb Region partners are working to connect more businesses in the region to export markets and opportunities.”
Genesee County – Coffee Beanery
- Coffee Beanery has more than 100 locations throughout the U.S., 20 locations internationally and is recognized as an industry leader for its unique family business approach, corporate culture and commitment to quality.
Thumb Region (Huron, Sanilac & Tuscola Counties) – Stemco Kaiser, Inc.
- STEMCO Kaiser, Inc. tests and manufactures pins and bushings for kingpin, suspension kit and no-ream repair kit applications.
Lapeer County – Lapeer Plating & Plastics, Inc.
- Lapeer Plating & Plastics, Inc. specialize in injection molding, ornamentation, decorative trim, handles and emblems.
Shiawassee County – Tri-Mer Corporation
- Tri-Mer Corporation develops and manufactures air pollution control systems and other related equipment.
St. Clair County – Alliance Broach & Tool
- Alliance Broach & Tool is highly specialized with engineering, manufacturing and reconditioning of broaches in a variety of shapes and sizes along with production machining services.
The I-69 Thumb Region is a partnership of the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce, Shiawassee Economic Development Partnership, Lapeer Development Corporation, Economic Development Alliance of St. Clair County, Sanilac & Huron County Economic Development Corporation and Tuscola County Economic Development Corporation.
Elaine Redd Flint & Genesee Chamber (810) 600-1418
Bob Campbell Flint & Genesee Chamber (810) 600-1421
About the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce
Serving the community for over 100 years, the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce is a premier business membership organization unlike most chambers of commerce. In addition to traditional member services, our responsibility includes serving as the lead economic development agency for Flint & Genesee, marketing tourism, youth and business training, and a Shared Services Center. Collaboration is one of our core strengths. To affect real and lasting change, inclusiveness and collaboration are keys to success. We form partnerships with private businesses, education and governmental agencies at the local, state and federal levels, as well as grant-making foundations to fuel economic growth and bring positive change to the region. For more information, visit www.flintandgenesee.org. Check us out on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.